Sunday, June 14, 2009

Katelyn's Chicken Salad

I just recently started liking cold meat salads-tuna, chicken, etc. So, after I looked up various recipes for chicken salad, I decided to make my own. I despise celery, for one, and also wanted it to stay low carb-so no raisins or grapes. I love cucumbers and pepper AND garlic, so those are the main ingredients. All the ingredients are approximate; keep that in mind also. It was an experimental recipe, but turned out great. Even the husband had 2nds.

Katelyn's Chicken Salad
1 Rotisserie chicken
1 cup mayo
1/2 cucumber
2 tsp garlic pepper
dash of lemon juice
3 shakes chopped onion flakes

Pull all the meat off the chicken, removing fatty parts and most of the skin. I chopped up some skin for a little flavor, but not much. Chop chicken to desired size. I added and mixed a little mayo at a time, so as not to get too much (yuck), and ended up with about a cup, I think. Dice cucumber (gives the celery crunch without the appauling flavor) and fold in with remaining ingredients. Then chill! I will be eating it on a bed of spinach leaves and sliced cucumbers. Yummy.

(Side note: If you use the rotisserie chicken, be careful not to add salt until after you taste it, because they are pretty salty already. I added no salt.)

3 comments:

Tina Davis said...

love chicken salad! ill have to try this one but im not a fan of the crunch nor am i fan of the NASTY celery!!! i hate it!! i might even leave out the cucumbers! but i have never thought of putting garlic in it so ill have to try it!! my new fav thing to make is egg salad u should try its wonderful!!!!

Katelyn said...

I LOVE egg salad, I make it at least once a week to take to work.

Jenni said...

Cucumber is a good idea for crunch....i have used pickles, but this would be better.